Saturday, June 07, 2008

Benefit of the doubt

Before, I thought it's negative to doubt. When I was in college, my professor in Humanities would always comment when we're unsure of our answers -- "It's good when you're doubting. It means you're thinking." One of the things I could still remember from the devotional book "If the Pasta Wiggles, Don't Eat It..." by Martha Bolton is the "bumper sticker for the day" that says, "Sometimes the best gift you can give a friend is the benefit of the doubt."

I realized that the "benefit of the doubt" lesson is also applicable when driving. This "benefit of the doubt" had saved me several times from accident. You cannot really always trust what you're seeing. Some of my experiences were... The intersection might look open but when I'm about to cross it, another vehicle will pop out. I look at the side mirror and the lane seems to be open but when I'm about to change lane, a man riding a motorcycle is suddenly in the lane. I look at the rear red lights of the vehicle I'm trailing as a guide if I have to step on the brakes, more often than not, most vehicles on the road have busted rear red lights. Most drivers do not flash signal lights when they are turning right or left and this annoys me sometimes. Oh well, I took note of these things and try to be aware of the possibilities.

I think we could learn life's lessons while driving. :)

No comments: