Sunday, November 06, 2005

Monthsary

I happened to watch an episode of Oprah the other day. It made me think on certain issues in life. The episode was about two cases of husbands’ brutality to their wives and children. In the first case, the wife was killed. I watched a little late so I wasn’t able to grasp the whole story. In the second case, the wife survived the husband’s attack. She suffered over 59 stabbed wounds. Actually, the doctors stopped counting at 59. Her husband suffocated their 9-year-old daughter with a pillow and strangled their 7-year-old son with his bare hands. According to the wife, her husband never lifted a finger on her in their 14 years of marriage. Her husband was loving and a very hands-on father. He was even a scout master and a tennis coach. I was left wondering how a loving husband and father could do such a horrible thing to his family. This reminded me of a statement I heard before… “The second most important decision in life is choosing your life partner.” By the way, the most important decision in life is accepting Jesus as your personal Savior and Lord.

As Karen (the wife who survived) was fighting for her life, she related that she came to a point when she was thinking if she would fight for her life or not. She decided to live. I was reminded that the mind is very powerful. So I would be careful on what I feed to it. I should not dwell on negative things. Oh how I wish it is just so easy to do it!

I was just thinking that some people could not view God as He truly is because they view Him like their earthly father. They associated God with how their earthly father projected themselves. Philip Yancey explored this concept in his book “Reaching for the Invisible God”. I was left wondering – how would Karen’s kids view God if ever they survived their father’s attack?

I noticed that Karen didn’t mention God in her statement when Oprah asked why she is moving on with her life and decided to come out to the public. She said she has her family and friends helping her to cope. And she would like to give comfort to those people who are in the same boat with her. When she would say, “I understand” she really meant it because she had gone through it. I shared this with a good friend and she gave an equally good insight – “maybe Karen is still in the stage of questioning God why this tragedy happened to her”. I really don’t know but I admired her “others-centered” attitude though.

I thought of my own “dark night of the soul” experiences and how I cope with it. I used to sing an old hymn… Because He lives, I can face tomorrow; because He lives, all fear is gone; because I know He holds the future, and life is worth the living just because He lives. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 says, “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the same comfort we ourselves have received from God.”

Well, it’s my monthsary today, November 6, 2005! I’m sort of a ‘countdown’ enthusiast these days. Or should I say I’m back with my old habit again just like in college days. Oh no, this is not about my love life, notice the pronoun “my”. It’s been a month since that blessed day street accident of mine. That’s it – happy monthsary to me, especially to my foot! I’m just thankful God gave me an “extension” to live.

No comments: