Friday, December 01, 2006

Memory

Memory is one consideration in buying a techie gadget today. High memory means more data storage. I’m thinking of upgrading the memory of my mobile phone and my flashdrive/mp3 player lately but my “stick-to-it-till-it-wears-out” attitude is intervening. Most things I have had “sentimental” value to me. And this makes me ponder about human memory…

I wonder how many bytes/kilobytes/megabytes/gigabytes/terabytes (or whatever unit of measurement) our memory could store? Hmmm… it’s interesting to note that humans are capable to remember things or search the memory without using a search or find (ctrl key + F) feature. Another thing is the “association” component. Have you experience remembering someone or something when a “keyword” was mentioned? It’s not only about “keywords”… how about remembering someone or an event when you smell a distinct scent or when you hear a particular song or when you see a certain color or read an article? Whoah! This is really mind-boggling. I made some sort of experiment with myself lately… I took note of the times I remember someone/something and what made me remember that “someone/something”. And I noticed that it’s not just merely remembering that “someone/something”… emotions are also involved. How can I say this? I was driving one morning along Marcos Highway and a Toyota Altis car cut my lane. I was annoyed as in…(my brain started to take note of the car’s plate number, color, etc.) then I remembered a dear achi who drives a Toyota Altis car… my being “annoyed” was gone in seconds. I just wish I could associate every car that cuts my lane with someone dear to me di ba? Hehe.

My mom found our old Casio PT-1 small keyboard player in the storage area. Memories flooded my mind when I saw it even if my mind was preoccupied with other things. I remember how I used to play the melody of “Memory” (a song in the “Sound of Music” movie) in that small keyboard player and how my brother and I quarrelled who’d be first to play with it. To stop our quarelling over that small keyboard player, my dad bought another one… and more memories coming in. How come I still remember those memories when it was more than a decade ago already? Hmmm… interesting! It just made me think how great is the God who created us all! I’m just amazed! Awesome! :)

This could mean that memory is a great part of our personhood. Are you not the same person if you cannot remember anything in your past? I just wonder why we don’t have “selective” memory where we could only remember those things we want to remember. Hmmm… just thinking. I know God knows what’s best for us. I’m just sort of suggesting? Hehe :)

I noticed I’ve used a lot of the word “remember” in this blog entry…which reminds me of something…

The word “remember” appeared many times in the Bible. About a year ago I got curious with the word “remember” and looked up some verses with the word “remember” listed in the concordance. Let me share some of the verses I found…

Genesis 8:1 “…and God remembered Noah”
Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy”
Leviticus 26:42 “I will remember my covenant with Jacob”
Numbers 10:9 “Then you will be remembered by the Lord your God”
Deuteronomy 8:18 “Remember the Lord your God”
1 Chronicles 16:12 (Psalm 105:5) “Remember the wonders he has done”
Nehemiah 4:14 “Remember the Lord, who is good and awesome”
Psalm 77:11 “I will remember the deeds of the Lord…I will remember your miracles”
Ecclesiastes 12:1 “Remember your Creator in the days of your youth”
…and the list goes on.

Well, it’s nice to remember things. It’s nice to be remembered too. I hope my memory will work well this coming Sunday for the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test). ^^

Ganbatte kudasai! ^^ Ganbarou! ^^
Aza! Jia you! ^^

No comments: