Saturday, October 20, 2007

Thought-provoking

I'm not into movies so I seldom watch movies in the big screen. I think my last visit to a moviehouse was January of last year. hehe. Anyway, I was able to watch the video of Evan Almighty with my brother the other day. I just found some thought-provoking insights in the movie. When God wants to speak to us, He uses many ways and most of the time through little things like alarm clock, delivery receipt, a statement of an officemate and of course through His Word, the Bible. When God asks us to do something, most of the time we resist, we resent. We resist, we resent, we give a lot of excuses because the work looks great. We forget that God didn't give us something we cannot bear. Of course, nothing is impossible with our big God! (hehe, I should always remind myself of this one!)

The part I like most in the movie is the conversation of Evan's wife (Joan) with the waiter who happens to be "God" (played by Morgan Freeman). Joan is deeply troubled by Evan's behavior. I like God's dialogue: "Let me ask you something, if someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? or does He give them the opportunity to be patient? If you prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does He give him the opportunity to be courageous? If someone prayed for family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does He give them the opportunities to love each other?" I like this statement because I could relate with the first few lines. I always ask God to give me patience whenever I drive but I keep on wondering why I also encounter traffic jams and all kinds of "interruptions" when I drive. All kinds of "interruptions" could mean a slow moving vehicle I'm trailing, people crossing the street (I wonder why people like to cross the street when it's my car's turn to move!), or animals (like cats, dogs or even frogs) obstructing my path. Little did I know that God is already answering my prayer for Him to give me patience. He's giving me opportunities to be patient! God's answers to our prayers may not be really what we wanted but we could be assured that it is for our best. Besides, He's sovereign, He knows everything, He cannot make a mistake.

A chorus of a song says, "God is too wise to be mistaken, God is too good to be unkind, so when you don't understand, when you can't see His plan, when you can't trace His hand, trust His heart." :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ang galing! you know what ate tin, kapapanood ko lang last week ng Evan! and would you believe, ni-note ko exactly same lines above - "If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience?" (natamaan din kasi ako) ^_^

tine said...

ang galing nga! :) ate jolly,may mga things or statements na talagang nagpa-pop up sa face or hitting our hearts bullseye! ^ ^ (gusto ko nga i-rewind agad yung part na 'yon kaya lang i was watching with my bro.hehe)