Monday, July 16, 2007

Driving

I've been driving regularly for some time now and I've been observing my behavior during my journeys to and from the office. I think I'm having symptoms of "sudden high temper syndrome". I used to think that I'm a cool driver but I overlooked the "pasaway" drivers in the streets. (haha, I think some drivers consider me also as one of the "pasaway" in the streets some times)

Well, these are the symptoms of my "sudden high temper syndrome". I tend to be talkative. Even when I'm driving alone I tend to speak to the vehicle that's blocking my way. Some of my favorite expressions are "kuya naman!" (when a jeep/car suddenly cuts my lane), "why are you so 'bagal'?" (when the the driver of the car in front of me feels like he's driving a funeral car and I can't change lanes), "kung naiinip ka, lumipat ka" (when I feel like I'm driving a funeral car and the driver of the car behind me feels annoyed with my driving). I tend to blow the car's horn more often than usual. Blowing the car's horn is one of my parameters if I'm getting hot-headed already. My worst of all symptoms is tapping the steering wheel so hard as if I lost a racing match.haha

I'm working on my "sudden high temper syndrome" and here are some of the ways. I entertain myself (especially during traffic jams) with cool music (like classical music; they say classical music has a "calming effect"), praying for people and taking pictures. And yesterday, I got a new idea from our beloved Pastor Peter. He shared that he became annoyed in one of the traffic jams he encountered last week (aha, I'm not alone!hehe). He was reminded by God during his "sudden high temper syndrome" that his "joy" is being robbed off from him. Hmm... ting! Aha, my joy is being robbed off from me every time I feel annoyed when I drive. So now I'm trying to have my mind set that my joy should not be robbed off from me when I drive. Hmm.. easier said than done but by God's grace I'll be fine. And if I can't keep my "cool" when driving the car, I think I just have to drive LRT/MRT trains so I would not encounter traffic, but maybe I think I'll ask them to put "eject people" button so I don't have to stop at the stations?haha :)

...Be patient with everyone. (1 Thessalonians 5:14)

Yeah, nice reminder "be patient with everyone" and "everyone" includes myself. My ironic prayer when I drive is "Lord, give me patience now!" :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool ka lang when driving

tine said...

thanks! i'm trying to keep my cool whenever i drive. :)