Friday, July 27, 2007

When simple seems hard

There are things that look simple but seems hard when doing it. I was tasked to make screenshots for the documentation we're doing. Hmm.. I think it's quite easy as simple as pressing the "Print Screen" key. Then I began to wonder how will I capture the entire page. That's the problem. I asked around what tool I could use to make my work easier. Mr. Google had lots of suggestions but I don't have time to try it all. Thank God for a friend who recommended Hypersnap. It has a free trial version that works perfectly fine. I haven't explored its other features but I think it's good. Its "Capture" function has a lot of options and I particularly use the "Entire Page with Scrolling". Amazing, Hypersnap makes my work easier! Hmm... this sounds like a testimony in a marketing channel on TV.hehe. Check out www.hyperionics.com for the free trial version of Hypersnap.

WinZipping is just as simple as doing a right click on the folder or file you want to zip and choose "Add to zip file". That's so easy when you're using a PC running on a MS Windows. For me who's using Linux CentOS... it's a problem. How will I zip the folder? Thanks to Mr. Google. After reading site after site after site, I finally found the answer. I just have to open a terminal then type the word "file-roller", press "Enter" key and an Archive Manager GUI (Graphical User Interface) will appear. Voila! I can now make a zip folder then just add the files I want to be zipped. Actually there are options in the Archive Manager on what archive type you want the files to be compressed (i.e. .tar.bz2, .tar.gz, .tar, .zip, .ar, .ear, .jar, and .war). I felt the feeling of Ferdinand Magellan when he discovered the Philippines.hehe

No comments: