Monday, March 21, 2005

Selective Amnesia

I was just thinking if God would grant my wish to give me selective amnesia.

This thought came into my mind when I read an article about encouragement. The article reminded me of an experience a few months ago. I was a recipient of a coarse joke. I knew it was a joke and I’m not the type of person who is “onion-skinned” but the words that were spoken pierced my heart. It made my mind went over 180kph thinking and rationalizing the occurrence of those spoken words. I was left with many questions – “what made that person give that unlikable remark?” / “of all the people, why him/her?” I already forgave the person and lifted him/her up to God. But the memory of the incident is still there. So I thought, what if I ask God to erase that part of my memory… some kind of selective amnesia?

I guess that’s the design of God. I know that God has His own timing on things. I just prayed that every time I will remember that “unlikable” incident, I would remember that God’s grace is abundant. He who forgave all of my sins is faithful. It also made me realized that there is a tremendous power on our words. Lesson learned… just like what the Sunday School song says: “Oh be careful little tongue what you say, for the Father up above is looking down with love, Oh be careful little tongue what you say!”

Ephesians 4:29 reminds me: “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”

My tagline today (maybe not just today only!): ENCOURAGE MORE!

No comments: