Wednesday, July 27, 2005

attached?

I’m sad because my favorite watch was broken yesterday.  The broken portion was the connection of the strap to the body of the watch.  It is made of plastic so I think it would not be repaired anymore… *sob, sob, sob*  It’s the second time I’m feeling this way.  Last month my trusted folding umbrella bid goodbye when a strong wind broke its metal skeleton leaving me drenched by a pouring rain.  It’s a funny feeling how I’ve become attached to inanimate possessions.  Can you blame me?  My favorite watch was with me since I’m in high school.  My brother originally owned it but he just left it unused and went for a more trendy watch.  It’s just a simple small black Swatch watch.  I just change the straps whenever it was broken.  It was my watch for almost a decade.  Also, my trusted folding umbrella was with me since high school days.  We’ve been through a lot of storms (literally!).  I always brag about its durability considering it’s a folding-type of umbrella. 

This made me reflect that we cannot keep materials for a long time no matter how good we take care of it.  I have this trait of keeping things (quite sentimental about it) for a long time – e.g. bookmark since I’m in grade one, pocket dictionary since grade three, pairs of shoes since grade six, second year high school, etc… (that still fit to my feet!)

I guess I have to learn how to let go of things, much more of people.

I don’t like goodbyes but…

For now, it’s really time to say…goodbye!

No comments: