Sunday, July 31, 2005

PLAYFUL MIND

I read through the book of Solomon’s Song of Songs. I could not really comprehend the thought of what I read. Though I used the New International Version (NIV), I finished the 8 chapters of the book quite confused, mystified and curious. Questions popped in my mind…what is this book all about? Is this really included in the Bible? I find it quite sensual in a sense that it mentioned and described parts of man’s and woman’s body in a whole range of images. My thoughts were racing and my imagination gone wild. Think…think…think… Ü

Good thing Gordon and Douglas were there to help me. (Who are Gordon and Douglas? FYI: Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart are authors of ‘How to Read the Bible Book by Book’ and the best-selling ‘How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth’.) Actually, I used to consult their book first before reading a book in the Bible for me to have a little background on it. But, I changed my strategy lately, I read through the whole book, try to figure it out by myself then consult them later. Hehehe…just trying to feel how to be a Bible scholar huh?! ('Pasaway' strategy!)

Here’s the orienting data for Song of Songs (by Gordon and Douglas)…
Content: a love poem of several episodes, celebrating the sexual love between a woman and a man.
Date of composition: unknown; scholarly guesses cover a broad range
Emphases: the proper love of a woman and a man for one another; the unquenchable nature of pure love; the delight in and longing for each other that pure love engenders.

I have this habit of marking my favorite passages in the Bible that somehow made an impact on me. In the entire book of Song of Songs, I only have one marked passage – chapter 3 verse 5b – “Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.” It was also mentioned in chapter 2 verse 7 and chapter 8 verse 4. Interestingly, it was rephrased by Gordon and Douglas as “to let love take its own course.” Whoooa! Such a good principle, huh?!! Though I’m currently in love (with my Savior who first loved me!)…the ‘love’ in me is still sleeping. Why worry about it when God is in full control and has the best plan for me! Ü Anyway, I got to learn a new meaning of love…aside from popular slumbook’s definition of love – “love is blind” and “love is lovelier the second time around.” Hehehe… “Love is as strong as death.” (chapter 8 verse 6) Wow!

Why was the Song of Songs included in the Bible? Gordon and Douglas said, “Song of Songs fits into God’s story as a reminder that the sexual love he created is good and should be embraced with godly fidelity and delight.”

With that, I’m reminded again to be an ambassador of purity! Ü Jia you!

No comments: