Friday, January 13, 2006

Narnia effect

I got to see the movie "The Chronicles of Narnia The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" the other night through the generosity of a friend. I've read the novel sometime last year. As far as I can remember, the movie stayed loyal to the novel in terms of the story but of course I think not all dialogue lines were covered. But anyway, as I was watching the scenes there were some insights that crossed mind. I wanted then to pause the movie and write down those insights (which of course was not possible at that time). So here's an attempt to recall all those pieces of thoughts that crossed my mind while watching the movie...

Scene: the Professor asking Peter and Susan "based on their experience which of the two (Edmund and Lucy) is more reliable, more truthful?"
Well, I just thought of the many beliefs we encounter these days. It's a good guide question in making decision to what you will believe. Some say that Jesus doesn't exist. Then you can ask: which side is more reliable, more truthful?

Character: Valiant Lucy
A valiant little girl indeed! What strong faith she has! I saw it when she met the Faun, in her positive outlook in helping Mr. Taumnus and the creatures of Narnia.

Character: Edmund
He's a traitor. He is selfish. I was just reminded of myself in God's eyes. I'm a sinner who always betrays my God because of my selfish desires. But like Edmund, I also confess my sins, find God's amazing grace all the time.

Scene: Aslan came out of his tent and everyone bowed down on their knees.
I was just reminded by a passage in the Bible, "every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord."

Scene: Aslan endured the insults of the white witch and her cohorts and he sacrificed his life in exchange of Edmund's.
I remembered one of my favorite song lines "...and thought of me above all". I remembered the white witch telling Aslan that it is such a waste to sacrifice his life for a traitor like Edmund. I thought, it was logically correct. How could someone sacrifice his life for an enemy? But Jesus is just showing His abounding love and grace for mankind who always betrays him. I read it somewhere that this scene is like an illustration of Jesus enduring the insults of the Pharisees and the people and was hanged on the cross to die for our sins. But the great news is, Jesus didn't remain dead but He rose from the dead. Just like Jesus, Aslan rose from the dead and finished the battle.

Scene: Near the waterfalls, Jadis (the white witch) told Edmund: "You must decide which side you are." (I'm not sure of Jadis' exact words.)
I remembered Ron Kenoly's exhortation in one of his praise and worship album "It's either you are in the Lord's side or in the devil's side...there is no demilitarized zone." There is no middle ground, we must make a decision to which side we will be in.

That's it! If I could just pause the movie and reflect for a moment... Anyway, I had a great night watching the movie with my dear friends! I'm thankful to God that He has blessed me with such friends like achi and ahia! :)

No comments: