Monday, January 16, 2006

Son reflectors

January 15, 2006, SUNDAY -- It's my second consecutive night to marvel at the night sky.  Last night I was in awe while staring the cottony clouds and the big bright full moon.  Tonight, the moon, still full and bright, is slightly hiding behind a big dark cottony cloud.  Ahh, I can't help but wonder at the greatness of God.  An old hymn crossed my mind... "O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder, Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made, I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, Thy power throughout the universe displayed...Then sings my soul, My Saviour God to Thee, How great Thou art, How great thou art..." 
 
As I was staring at the night sky, I remembered something from Max Lucado's It's Not About Me...
 
The moon models our role.
What does the moon do?  She generates no light.  Contrary to the lyrics of the song, this harvest moon cannot shine on.  Apart from the sun, the moon is nothing more than a pitch-black, pockmarked rock.  But properly positioned, the moon beams.  Let her do what she was made to do, and a clod of dirt becomes a source of inspiration, yea, verily, romance.  The moon reflects the greater light.
And she's happy to do so!  You never hear the moon complaining.  She makes no waves about making waves.  Let the cow jump over her or astronauts step on her; she never objects.  Even though sunning is accepted while mooning is the butt of bad jokes, you won't hear ol' Cheeseface grumble.  The moon is at peace in her place.  And because she is, soft light touches a dark earth.
What would happen if we accepted our place as Son reflectors?
 
Boom...we, Christians, are supposed to be Son (meaning God's Son, Jesus) reflectors.  God is reminding me about this lately.  Reduce the human job description down to one phrase, and this is it: Reflect God's glory.  "And we, with our unveiled faces reflecting like mirrors the brightness of the Lord, all grow brighter and brighter as we are turned into the image that we reflect; this is the work of the Lord who is Spirit" (2 Corinthians 3:18 JB).  It's not about me.  It's all about Him.  I pray that all about me -- my body, problems, struggles, heartaches, hassles, talents, success, etc. -- reflect God's glory! :)

1 comment:

under the bright lights said...

everybody let's sing it! one, two, ready sing:

then sings my soooouuuuul.....

thriver <-- singing it ala-chris tomlin. hehe. by the way, ring tune yan ng nanay ko. hehe.