Monday, August 20, 2007

Potholes Ahead

POTHOLES AHEAD

I walk down the street. There is a big hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in. I am lost. I am helpless. It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.
I walk down the street. There is a big hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it. I fall in.
I can't believe I'm in the same place, but it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.
I walk down the street. There is a big hole in the sidewalk.
I see it there. I still fall in. It's a habit. My eyes are open.
I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately
I walk down the street. There is a big hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.
I walk down a different street.

- Author Unknown


I remember this piece I read from my old Campus Journal devotional book when I was driving and didn't remember the new potholes on the road. Because of the recent rains and floods the "ice-phalt" (asphalt) on the road melted. I have to memorize the new potholes added to the previous ones. There were times I forgot the locations of the new potholes and ran over them again. The other day, I made a mental note of all the new potholes. I hope next week I've learned my "lesson" already and will not run over those potholes again. :)

In life we commit mistakes but what is more important is to learn from it and not commit the same mistakes again.

"I got to keep my eyes on Jesus through the weak days..." sings Steven Curtis Chapman in "Weak Days", a song included in his First Hand album in 1987. (Visit Steven Curtis Chapman's new website www.stevencurtischapman.com to listen to his albums online.)

No comments: