Wednesday, August 29, 2007

To See Is To Believe?

I wasn't able to see the eclipse last night. I was excited because I was finally at the roof deck of PAGASA observatory in UP Diliman. The place was quite crowded. Students, lovers, enthusiasts and families went to the observatory wanting to gaze at the expected beautiful red moon. I saw Kuya Kim of Channel 2 and Mariz Umali of Channel 7. Media crews were busy setting up the lights and video cameras. Members of Astronomical League of the Philippines (ALP) were also busy setting up their cool telescopes. Based on the information I read from PAGASA, greatest eclipse would be at 6:37PM and the totality will last for one hour and thirty minutes. It was really cloudy.
My ever supportive mom accompanied me. She knows that it was my long-time plan to visit the observatory since last year. My brother drove her to my office. She even brought some snacks. :)

Waiting, waiting, waiting. I overheard that the moon should be visible at the eastern side of the sky. While looking at the cloudy sky where the red moon should be visible, I was thinking if the red moon was really beneath those clouds. To see is to believe?

At exactly 7PM, I decided to go home. My mom was patiently waiting for me at the old CHE building. She cheered me up by quoting Kuya Kim's line, "laging tatandaan, sa buhay ay weather-weather lang." Oh well, there would be next time... some time in 2011.

Just a thought: We don't always have to see in order to believe. Do you believe in love? Can you see love? Do you believe in the wind? Can you see the wind? Has anyone seen love or wind?

No comments: