Monday, August 22, 2005

always

I used to bring my big umbrella these past few days due to scattered rain showers (remember: my trusted folding umbrella bid goodbye a couple of months ago).  Last Friday, I was reminded on the meaning of the word “always”.  I acted as an expert on weather forecasting on that day.  After seeing that the sky is clear, I decided to leave my big umbrella concluding that it will not rain.  The day just went fine as usual, just a typical day in the office.  I went home earlier than my usual Friday-going-home schedule.  About 3 rides away from our house (it usually takes me 5 rides going home), it started to rain.  It was manageable since it was just a drizzle.  A sudden downpour of rain fell from heaven when I was just about a tricycle ride away from home (I was in our village’s gate already).  Armed with just a jacket, I braved the strong rain just to get to the tricycle terminal.  O poor me, drenched with rain due to my so-called wise weather prediction.  I had this realization when I was riding the tricycle going home (actually I was riding at the back feeling more wet than before).  I thought…the weather is quite unpredictable, it may be sunny in the morning but it could be rainy in the latter part of the day.  No matter how expert you are in weather forecasting, it is always safe to be ready.  It also applies to spiritual life.  I just thought of the verse in the Bible that says, “Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8)  Be always ready and on guard is my lesson for that day.  It’s better to be ready than sorry. :)

No comments: