Monday, August 15, 2005

Appreciated

I’m feeling a certain “high” these past few days. No, it’s not because of a drug I’m using lately. Hahaha. :) It’s partly because of my new CD (a gift, actually) and a book (from a book bargain). Basically, I just feel so appreciated these days. I’ve quoted this verse before but then again I quote, “Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.” (Proverbs 16:24) Encouraging words can really uplift a depressed soul or even change a life. Last Saturday, I happened to read a devotional article. It talked about a woman (named as Mary in John 12:3) who showed her lavish devotion to Jesus by anointing Him with perfume worth more than a year’s wages. Those who were present at that time became angry and asked, “Why this waste?” They expressed a concern for the poor instead. If they had been attending Jesus’ funeral rather than a dinner with Him, they may have reacted quite differently. The devotional just wanted to say that we need to break out our best perfumes for the living. Yet all too often we wait until someone we know has died to show the appreciation that we fail to show in life.

Show love to others young and old,
Encourage them while they are near;
For when they’ve gone to their reward,
Your loudest praise they will not hear.
- D. De Haan

On that same day (Saturday) while still reflecting on the appreciation lesson, I was thinking what it would feel if God Himself will appreciate me. If the appreciation of people gave me a certain “high” feeling, what more of God’s. (Reflect, reflect mood…) I was thinking what things I need to do to please God…be kind, do your best, obey Him, trust Him, pray, read and study the Bible, etc. I was inspired by the heroes of faith in the book of Hebrews lately. I’m trying to draw inspiration why these men and women of faith remained faithful though they had experienced many adversities and yet none of them received what had been promised. (You see, I think I’m in my Perseverance 101 class these days. *smiles*) It says in Hebrew 11:6, “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”

I was surprised to hear that our pastor’s message yesterday was entitled, “Highly Esteemed by God”. God must have been encouraging me. *smiles* It was a continuation on our study of the book of Daniel. The message has just three points to remember. To be highly esteemed by God, one must: 1) study the Scriptures, 2) apply the Scriptures, and 3) pray. (For a summary of our pastor’s message last Sunday, you may click “CCF” on the links section later this week.)

Two important lessons I’ve learned: 1) to appreciate others while they’re still alive, and 2) to live a life that pleases God so on that Day I’ll receive His “Well done, good and faithful servant…enter into the joy of your Lord.”

Lord, let my life be like a love song to Your heart.

No comments: